What is the Very Bright Star in the Eastern Sky?

Does anyone know what the very bright star is that is in the Eastern night sky? I have seen it the last few nights, and I am based in England. There is stuff on the internet telling everyone to look to the West for a planetary alignment yet I cant find anything explaing what the one in the East is?

Thanks
Ivan

Views: 1322

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My question is does it Twinkle?

I don't think geographical location changes all that much unless you're talking northern or southern hemisphere, but here in Oklahoma to the west in the early evening 8:30-9:30 I can see Venus in the western sky. If I'm up until around midnight here you can see Mars in the Eastern sky.

The last two nights, however, I have seen a bright light in the northeast sky that I stared at and watched for about 5 minutes... no movement, no change, just a big bright light and then all of a sudden it turns into a plane and flies off making NO sound at all. Just thought that I'd throw that out there.
LOL yes I remember that hoax

Inzjana AeiLanTenie said:
Sorry, that is a hoax actually, didn't know that.
I think it twinkled but will see if I can see it again tonight. There is a slight golden colour to it so it could be Mars. Me and my family saw some red UFOs flying over the house a few nights ago but im still not sure if they could have been those chinese lanterns, ill save that for a blog though.

This is I guess slightly South East.
I see it outside my balcony sometimes and it's the brightest object in the night sky other then the moon so I have to say Venus at least as far as I know. I have not really watched it closely to see if it changes position or does anything unusual. Although I think Venus rises in the horizon so that may be why it is seen to change position. However there are a number of forums blowing up with thousands of people asking the same question so that makes me wonder....how come no one noticed this bright star/planet before?

Could be a mothership waiting for the moment to de-cloak ;)
Well Spaceweather says this about the WEST view so it wont be Mars or Venus, it could be Jupiter.

"When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Venus, Mars, Saturn and the crescent Moon are having a lovely 4-way conjunction. It's a great way to warm up for the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on Thursday night, August 12th. Get the full story from Science@NASA. Sky maps: August 12, 13."
Yeah I know what you mean Omyra, its starting to get dark here but cant see the star/planet or whatever it is yet...

Omyra Violet Elemental Angel said:
awww.I love astronomy..always have since child!!! I could watch the heavens all night long! I just wish to see more action like a visit from other planets and people not be scared cause wow.down here on Earth they don't even get along with their family let along neighbors or other nations on Earth.
Alchemist said:
Well Spaceweather says this about the WEST view so it wont be Mars or Venus, it could be Jupiter.

"When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Venus, Mars, Saturn and the crescent Moon are having a lovely 4-way conjunction. It's a great way to warm up for the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on Thursday night, August 12th. Get the full story from Science@NASA. Sky maps: August 12, 13."
I see it here in America and yesterday was the first time I saw it fade out then I left to go get a drink and upon returning it was back but brighter! and this time was more to the right of it's previous position.

Alchemist said:
Yeah I know what you mean Omyra, its starting to get dark here but cant see the star/planet or whatever it is yet...

Omyra Violet Elemental Angel said:
awww.I love astronomy..always have since child!!! I could watch the heavens all night long! I just wish to see more action like a visit from other planets and people not be scared cause wow.down here on Earth they don't even get along with their family let along neighbors or other nations on Earth.
Alchemist said:
Well Spaceweather says this about the WEST view so it wont be Mars or Venus, it could be Jupiter.

"When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Venus, Mars, Saturn and the crescent Moon are having a lovely 4-way conjunction. It's a great way to warm up for the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on Thursday night, August 12th. Get the full story from Science@NASA. Sky maps: August 12, 13."
Was it East from you or kinda South East ? If there's no cloud cover I will try to catch it with my camera through the telescope. What time did you see it ?


Yshatar Xzatara said:
I see it here in America and yesterday was the first time I saw it fade out then I left to go get a drink and upon returning it was back but brighter! and this time was more to the right of it's previous position.
Alchemist said:
Yeah I know what you mean Omyra, its starting to get dark here but cant see the star/planet or whatever it is yet...

Omyra Violet Elemental Angel said:
awww.I love astronomy..always have since child!!! I could watch the heavens all night long! I just wish to see more action like a visit from other planets and people not be scared cause wow.down here on Earth they don't even get along with their family let along neighbors or other nations on Earth.
Alchemist said:
Well Spaceweather says this about the WEST view so it wont be Mars or Venus, it could be Jupiter.

"When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Venus, Mars, Saturn and the crescent Moon are having a lovely 4-way conjunction. It's a great way to warm up for the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on Thursday night, August 12th. Get the full story from Science@NASA. Sky maps: August 12, 13."
I've been seeing this too! I live in the US, Florida and It's to the east of me but does seem to move, sometimes southeast some times a little north. At first I thought it was a Planet but since I'm outside every night and had noticed it appear brighter at moments and fade at others, I got my telescope and binoculars and took a look, when I look closely at it the color does change almost an orange-ish color to a bright yellow then to a bright white. I started to think it was a satellite, but like most everyone has said they see it shift in the sky. I'm still looking at the light every night, it's strange it's like i'm drawn to it like a bug flying into the light zapper, I can't help but stare at this for hours some nights.
I have seen this too. I havent a clue what it is. Lol. I've seen it really brite and then dim down and fade away. I also seen it move too. I been watching the star lit sky for years and I have to say that was not there until just recently. ???? Your guess is as good as mine:-)
The last few nights its been overcast here so ive not got another look at it, fingers crossed for tonight but its not been a good year for star gazing here. I did also notice the brightening and fading away that many of you are describing which is what made me wonder what it was in the first place.
I think I've seen it too. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. I first thought it was Venus. It doesn't really twinkle, but it is very bright. It was very far away from the moon. I think it moves too.

RSS

Ads

© 2014   Created by Yshatar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service