Hello everyone,

I would like to offer exploration of the archetype of the Joker. In modern times we are more familiar with the comic book interpretation of the Joker – the well known villain from the Batman universe, he is the ultimate antihero, the prince of crime we all love to hate. But this unique cultural figure marks its beginning long before comic books were even invented. It is very interesting to see how this archetype has evolved into such a sinister and abusive modern character when its beginnings were not at all evil.

Almost every culture on the planet has in its mythology the trickster figure, which is exclusively always male (if I am wrong please correct me in the comments). The joker, the fool, the jester or the trickster is extremely smart, cunning, self serving, possess a sense of humor and prefers the light side of life. Very often the stories which have the Joker as the main hero aim to expose human foolishness or serve as a way for the rich and privileged to be ridiculed. In fact I think this is the main reason behind the Trickster’s existence – exposing the wrongdoings of authority figures and speaking truths that no one dares to admit publically.

I would love to know more about the Joker figure in your culture and its spiritual meaning.

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, if you know anything about Carl Jung you can pretty much thank him and him alone for researching this particular subject of archetypes.

I believe the more interesting thing about the "Joker" is as Jung described it in everyone, the Shadow Self. Pretty self explanatory, but instead of the jovial, funny trickster you have what could simply be described as an unpredictable lunatic. Essentially, everyone plays the light side of the Joker at some point or another.

We all deal with that inner struggle, whatever you wish to call it, but especially with these archetypes you have the good side and the bad side. Even the "Hero" has that Shadow Self. It's not often portrayed in culture because we inherently like to see ourselves as the white knights of our own story.

To me, the Joker is more prone to the darker side of things. Their off the cuff mentality leads to acting without considering consequences. They're more prone to tell the truth than others because it's generally not in their interests to lie, the truth is far too much fun.

My perspective lies in the psychological realm on this because it falls within the realm of the ego, in my view at least. I believe there are plenty of female "Jokers" today, but it's somewhat gotten lost in translation with comedy these days.

What's New?

David Corah replied to Alvah The Pleiadian's discussion Free Angelic Reiki Healing/Activation for StarSeeds.net Community Members by Alvah from Pleiades
"Thankyou, Love and light. Namaste"
26 minutes ago
Alvah The Pleiadian replied to Alvah The Pleiadian's discussion Free Angelic Reiki Healing/Activation for StarSeeds.net Community Members by Alvah from Pleiades
"Hello Beautiful Souls I hope all of you have been enjoying working with Angelic Kingdom of…"
39 minutes ago
Misha I AM commented on Suzanne's photo

check-up for hybrids

"can you please give me more info on how you got this picture? Do you know about the med beds that…"
39 minutes ago
Misha I AM loved Suzanne's photo
42 minutes ago
Misha I AM loved Suzanne's photo
44 minutes ago
Alea Celeste replied to Dean's discussion Sivananda Daily Readings 17 March 2018 - Yogasara-Upanishad Mantra – 11: Dharana (concentration) is fixing the mind on an idea or a point or object either internal or external
"This is quite helpful!"
54 minutes ago
Warden posted a video

Lucid Dreaming, Dream Work, Reiki Session and Energy Cleanse ASMR

Lucid dreaming and dream work are incredible experiences used either to control and create in your dreams, manifest, heal, receive messages, meet your guides...
59 minutes ago
Misha I AM posted a photo
1 hour ago

© 2018   Created by Yshatar Anshar El.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service