_

Hello everyone,

I would like to offer exploration of the archetype of the Joker. In modern times we are more familiar with the comic book interpretation of the Joker – the well known villain from the Batman universe, he is the ultimate antihero, the prince of crime we all love to hate. But this unique cultural figure marks its beginning long before comic books were even invented. It is very interesting to see how this archetype has evolved into such a sinister and abusive modern character when its beginnings were not at all evil.

Almost every culture on the planet has in its mythology the trickster figure, which is exclusively always male (if I am wrong please correct me in the comments). The joker, the fool, the jester or the trickster is extremely smart, cunning, self serving, possess a sense of humor and prefers the light side of life. Very often the stories which have the Joker as the main hero aim to expose human foolishness or serve as a way for the rich and privileged to be ridiculed. In fact I think this is the main reason behind the Trickster’s existence – exposing the wrongdoings of authority figures and speaking truths that no one dares to admit publically.

I would love to know more about the Joker figure in your culture and its spiritual meaning.

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, i agree there is a lot of lost knowledge.

Paul Smeenis said:

Usually male, yeah. A combination of wit and evil is already rare to begin with, the more so when applied to female probability outlook. The only examples of which I am aware off the top of my head might be Morgan Le Fay from back before all of the witches got burned at the stake. In the distant dark ages back when White European culture was still semi-pagan, younger female witches might be seen as 'tricksters' via spell casting and other factors. Alas, most of the knowledge of these things has been removed the records of history due to Christian genocidal tendencies, so proving any of this would be beyond my pay grade. Feel to dismiss as nonsense if preferred.

In any event, there is really no common theme of a female trickster archetype still surviving in the West into the modern era. Perhaps the occasional female harlequine being the exception. In one case, conveniently called:

Harley Quinn

The only other example I know of being...

"Harle" from an obscure game two decades ago.

Regarding spiritual meanings...that's not really something I intend to address. Hopefully others will be more open.

Take care. 

Very interesting, thank you.

Turquoise Water said:

Well, if you know anything about Carl Jung you can pretty much thank him and him alone for researching this particular subject of archetypes.

I believe the more interesting thing about the "Joker" is as Jung described it in everyone, the Shadow Self. Pretty self explanatory, but instead of the jovial, funny trickster you have what could simply be described as an unpredictable lunatic. Essentially, everyone plays the light side of the Joker at some point or another.

We all deal with that inner struggle, whatever you wish to call it, but especially with these archetypes you have the good side and the bad side. Even the "Hero" has that Shadow Self. It's not often portrayed in culture because we inherently like to see ourselves as the white knights of our own story.

To me, the Joker is more prone to the darker side of things. Their off the cuff mentality leads to acting without considering consequences. They're more prone to tell the truth than others because it's generally not in their interests to lie, the truth is far too much fun.

My perspective lies in the psychological realm on this because it falls within the realm of the ego, in my view at least. I believe there are plenty of female "Jokers" today, but it's somewhat gotten lost in translation with comedy these days.

I am aware of Jung's work, but i don't think he is the only one who has researched the topic, also the Shadow self stands not so much for the dark (although it does include it) side of the Self, but the uncoscious one, the who stays in shadows so to speak.

Joseph said:

Well, if you know anything about Carl Jung you can pretty much thank him and him alone for researching this particular subject of archetypes.

I believe the more interesting thing about the "Joker" is as Jung described it in everyone, the Shadow Self. Pretty self explanatory, but instead of the jovial, funny trickster you have what could simply be described as an unpredictable lunatic. Essentially, everyone plays the light side of the Joker at some point or another.

We all deal with that inner struggle, whatever you wish to call it, but especially with these archetypes you have the good side and the bad side. Even the "Hero" has that Shadow Self. It's not often portrayed in culture because we inherently like to see ourselves as the white knights of our own story.

To me, the Joker is more prone to the darker side of things. Their off the cuff mentality leads to acting without considering consequences. They're more prone to tell the truth than others because it's generally not in their interests to lie, the truth is far too much fun.

My perspective lies in the psychological realm on this because it falls within the realm of the ego, in my view at least. I believe there are plenty of female "Jokers" today, but it's somewhat gotten lost in translation with comedy these days.

Thank you!

Biscuits said:

Heyoke Empath, is a known joker in the native american culture. They expose your weakness by mirroring how you feel to yourself giving insight to what is being mirrored.
Heyoke meaning clown - is to submerge deepest meanings of the person under a heyoke empath spell, to enlighten or help people understand. Heyoke are one of the most powerful empaths and strongest in mentality. I express as I am a heyoke empath. I have hard times in relationships because i feed off the negative energy and expose to the the person in the relationship, therefore giving a bad vibe ending friendships within 2 minutes. :(

The Joker is a mastermind. They are crazy for it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Ads

What's New?

Christopher smith loved ♑ Aekielna ☪ ♄'s group Fairies & Elves*
3 minutes ago
Adonai loved Melanie Hachey's profile
7 minutes ago
Alexander Rodriguez replied to Christopher smith's discussion Pastlife regression
"Hi Chris, I've done multiple past life regressions and each has shed light for me to further…"
1 hour ago
JD left a comment for Kiki Bear
"Welcome Kiki Bear :) Great to gain a caring and sharing being. Beautiful Avatar Picture Namaste JD"
1 hour ago
Jesse Theisen and JD are now friends
1 hour ago
Jesse Theisen replied to JD's discussion Who am I?
"I agree, though I was asked Who are you? as well by a different one. That was actually the place…"
1 hour ago
JD replied to JD's discussion Who am I?
"Thanks for the interesting experience. And I would think deep down they will be the same answer."
2 hours ago
Turquoise Water replied to Turquoise Water's discussion Lucifer in the group Sorcerous Beings, Mixed and in the Cracks ?
"I like the idea of calling them "entities." We're "entities" too! ;-) One…"
2 hours ago
JD posted a status
"Telling others how to live is a shunt to experience, Showing others being an example to others helps understand experience."
2 hours ago
Faith Baba posted photos
2 hours ago
Turquoise Water loved deer~tears's video
2 hours ago
Omnicentrist and Gil are now friends
2 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Yshatar Anshar El.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service